Killer Almond Cake from Mallorca Spain
Almonds are the essential Majorcan ingredient. Each restaurant has its own delectable recipe for almond cake. My personal fave was the cake at La Residencia in the gorgeous Deia. I vowed to replicate it when I came home. I am making it for Easter dessert and wanted to share it. Enjoy! Yummy...
KILLER ALMOND CAKE
From Chez Panisse
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup almond paste (look for Odense)
10 ounces unsalted butter, room temp.
6 large eggs, room temp.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven 325 degrees. Line a 10” cake pan w/ parchment paper or butter the pan and dust w/flour.
1. With an electric mixer, beat the sugar and almond paste together until the paste is finely broken up.
2. When completely mixed, add the butter and beat for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Stir in into the batter a little at a time, beating with the mixer.
4. Beat in the vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder with a whisk or a fork.
6. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the batter.
7. Transfer the batter into the cake pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness. It may take up to another 10 to 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool before serving. Serve plain or dust w/confectioners’ sugar or serve w/small scoop of vanilla ice cream.